[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Oct 6 16:07:53 EDT 2007

Thus spake "William Herrin" <arin-contact at dirtside.com>
> The price structure is entirely inappropriate for a rapidly
> diminishing asset like IPv4 free pool. Where conservation is
> desired, large allocations per year should made to cost more
> per address than small ones.

I'd be satisfied with a constant per-address fee structure.  If nothing
else, that's a good first step vs. our current fee structure of giving
additional addresses free to organizations who waste the most.

> That having been said, this discussion is moot. The xlarge entities
> have the votes to keep the favorable fee structure.

There are 80 X-Large members, out of ~2800 members.  Since it's one vote per
member, they obviously do not "have the votes" to do anything.  However, as
John pointed out, members don't actually vote on fees; that's done by a
supermajority of the Board.  If members are unhappy with the current fee
structure, they should consider that in the next round of Board elections.