[ppml] ARIN IP conservation and FREE IP Addresses

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Oct 6 12:06:29 EDT 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 3:45 AM, Michael Thomas - Mathbox wrote:

> On the ARIN web site at:
> http://www.arin.net/billing/fee_schedule.html#ipv4_alloc
>
> The price for an X-large allocation (blocks larger than /14, I.E.
> a /13
> qualifies) is $18,000.00. That is the top fee for IP addresses. If
> the same
> ARIN subscriber needs more IP addresses, up to and including
> another /13 or
> more, there is no additional charge. No additonal charge! Free! I
> have two
> issues with this fee structure.

These fees are not for IP addresses.  The fees are for ARIN
Subscriber Membership.
The total number of IP addresses you hold is used as an abstraction
for classifying
your membership.

For someone who holds a /20, the next /20 is technically free, too.
Regardless of
the increments in which it comes.  For someone who holds a /19+, it
doesn't cost
any more until they need more than a /16.

This is standard tiered pricing and it's a way to simplify the
pricing structure so that
the cost of computing a bill does not increase the amount of money
that needs
to be collected.

Owen