[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:43:55 EDT 2007

On 11/1/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:

> > [from the v6 ISP template]
> > 14. Will you announce only the single, aggregated IPv6 prefix you
> >     are allocated by ARIN? Indicate YES or NO.
> My impression that a NO answer would disqualify you for an ISP /32, but
> perhaps ARIN staff can clarify.  NRPM 6.5.1.1 point C seems to state
> that YES is a requirement:

>           6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria

Here's a thought:

Planning to provide IPv6 connectivity by advertising through its
single aggregated address
allocation.

Is different from

Planning to provide IPv6 connectivity by advertising ONLY its single
exact aggregated
address allocation.

The third requirement of that 6.5.1.1 does not  specifically state
that other advertisements
than the single aggregate allocation must not be planned.

Additional advertisements may have to do with connectivity in addition
to what is
advertised through the aggregate.    But existence of advertisement of
the aggregate
satisfies (3) despite the extraneous advertisements.

Does the whole aggregate even have to appear in a single advertisement
to satisfy (3)?

Advertisement of a subset of the allocation is still potentially
sufficient to provide
connectivity through addresses which are a part of the single
aggregated allocation.

"single aggregated address" are characteristics of the allocation.

If you plan to provide connectivity through obtaining multiple non-aggregated
IPv6 allocations, then you fail (3).

(3) doesn't say
 *plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
   will assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity
  through a single advertisement of its entire single aggregated
  address allocation; and*

--
-J