[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Member Services info at arin.net
Fri Nov 2 13:29:24 EDT 2007

Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Jon Lewis wrote:

>>> There's some debate on that, but as I read it, no.  My understanding is
>>> that you're free to advertise subnets longer than /32 out of PA space,
>>> but other networks are free to filter them.
>>

>> [from the v6 ISP template]
>> 14. Will you announce only the single, aggregated IPv6 prefix you
>>     are allocated by ARIN? Indicate YES or NO.
>> 14. Specify YES or NO. If you receive an allocation from ARIN
>>     and you will only announce the least specific, aggregated
>>     prefix to your BGP neighbors, indicate YES. If you plan to
>>     announce more specifics of your allocation to your BGP
>>     neighbors, indicate NO.
>>
>> I said yes when applying for our /32.  The instructions imply that no
>> is a valid answer.
>

> My impression that a NO answer would disqualify you for an ISP /32,
> but perhaps ARIN staff can clarify.  NRPM 6.5.1.1 point C seems to
> state that YES is a requirement:
>

>          6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria
>
> To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
> organization must:
>
>   1. be an LIR;
>   2. not be an end site;
>   3. *plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
>      will assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity
>      through its single aggregated address allocation; and*
>   4. be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
>      making at least 200 /48 assignments to other organizations within
>      five years.
>

> -Scott

Hello Scott-

As you indicate above, NRPM 6.5.1.1(3) states that an organization "must
plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it will
assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity  through its
single aggregated address allocation".

If a requester answers YES to question 14, then this clearly meets the
policy.  A NO answer to this question would not be an immediate denial,
but instead would lead staff to ask for clarification as to whether the
organization intended to announce the single, aggregated prefix at all.
The policy doesn't specifically preclude an organization from announcing
more specifics of the larger prefix.

Because this question seems to be somewhat confusing,  ARIN staff will
update the template today to clarify this question and the instructions.

Regards,

Leslie Nobile
Director, Registration Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers