[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Nov 1 21:28:04 EDT 2007

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>>> Question: Does it say you cannot advertise smaller portions as well as
>>> the larger block?
>>>

>> There's some debate on that, but as I read it, no.  My understanding is
>> that you're free to advertise subnets longer than /32 out of PA space,
>> but other networks are free to filter them.
>
> [from the v6 ISP template]
> 14. Will you announce only the single, aggregated IPv6 prefix you
>     are allocated by ARIN? Indicate YES or NO.
> 14. Specify YES or NO. If you receive an allocation from ARIN
>     and you will only announce the least specific, aggregated
>     prefix to your BGP neighbors, indicate YES. If you plan to
>     announce more specifics of your allocation to your BGP
>     neighbors, indicate NO.
>
> I said yes when applying for our /32.  The instructions imply that no
> is a valid answer.

My impression that a NO answer would disqualify you for an ISP /32, but
perhaps ARIN staff can clarify.  NRPM 6.5.1.1 point C seems to state
that YES is a requirement:

          6.5.1.1. Initial allocation criteria

To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
organization must:

   1. be an LIR;
   2. not be an end site;
   3. *plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
      will assign IPv6 address space, by advertising that connectivity
      through its single aggregated address allocation; and*
   4. be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region or have a plan for
      making at least 200 /48 assignments to other organizations within
      five years.

-Scott