[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Wed May 30 03:48:38 EDT 2007

Well, now that you say it, I heard that there was also a very direct
pressure on top of the IESG. If that was the case, it was nasty and the IESG
did wrong allowing an "out-of-band" interference in the IETF process,
because all that should have gone to the WG.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Thomas Narten <narten at us.ibm.com>
> Responder a: <narten at us.ibm.com>
> Fecha: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:46:48 -0400
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> CC: <ppml at arin.net>
> Asunto: Re: [ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again
>
>> What failed previously ... IESG can say, I only have hints, and points to
>> something not good in my opinion, but I don't want to talk here about
>> something that I don't know completely.
>
> What "failed" is that the IETF was fairly close to approving the ULA-C
> approach, but at one ARIN meeting, there was an uproar over the
> idea. The IETF then dropped the idea because it just seemed too
> painful to continue pushing on it at the time (there was a message
> sent to the IPng mailing list when this happened, and the WG agreed,
> but it would take some digging to find the exact message). Plus, the
> IETF had by then approved probalistically-unique ULAs (RFC 4193) which
> took off much of the pressure for ULA-C. So there was a feeling that
> we should just drop the ULA-C approach and see what happened. Even
> then it was felt that it could be resurrected, if the RFC 4193 proved
> to be insufficient in practice.
>
> Thomas

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !