[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Tue May 29 22:46:48 EDT 2007

> What failed previously ... IESG can say, I only have hints, and points to
> something not good in my opinion, but I don't want to talk here about
> something that I don't know completely.

What "failed" is that the IETF was fairly close to approving the ULA-C
approach, but at one ARIN meeting, there was an uproar over the
idea. The IETF then dropped the idea because it just seemed too
painful to continue pushing on it at the time (there was a message
sent to the IPng mailing list when this happened, and the WG agreed,
but it would take some digging to find the exact message). Plus, the
IETF had by then approved probalistically-unique ULAs (RFC 4193) which
took off much of the pressure for ULA-C. So there was a feeling that
we should just drop the ULA-C approach and see what happened. Even
then it was felt that it could be resurrected, if the RFC 4193 proved
to be insufficient in practice.

Thomas