[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Wed May 30 08:57:56 EDT 2007

Jordi,

> Well, now that you say it, I heard that there was also a very direct
> pressure on top of the IESG. If that was the case, it was nasty and the IESG
> did wrong allowing an "out-of-band" interference in the IETF process,
> because all that should have gone to the WG.

Please don't post/further propagate rumors, unless you have real
evidence to back things up.

There was no interference. I'd also bet money that the IETF would not
approve something like ULAs if the RIRs are in serious opposition (And
I, wearing my IETF hat, would oppose such an action). It was a mutual
decision to drop ULA-C. Niether ARIN nor the IETF was interested in
pushing it forward after the infamous ARIN meeting where ULA-Cs were
last discussed.  The IPv6 WG agreed to this action (go check the
archive). Given that, your words above are completely inappropriate
and unhelpful.

And I believe I was still AD at the time this all happened.  I was
also the one up on stage at the ARIN meeting defending ULA-Cs when the
rotten tomatoes were thrown. I remember that meeting well. :-)

Thomas