[ppml] Soft and hard landings, was: Re: Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Mon May 21 13:30:55 EDT 2007

> Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I don't think any of the folks who
> would be affected by "Soft Landing" have any illusions about running
> out of IPv4 space.  What "Soft Landing" tries to do is:
>
> - provide a lengthened runway via increased efficiency
> - give addressing folks within ISPs ammunition to explain to their
> business folks why taking IPv6 seriously is a good idea
>
> My impression is that the business folks at ISPs focus on either what
> brings in new revenues or what drives down costs.  Since IPv6 doesn't
> appear to be able to bring in new revenues, the only other option I
> can think of to get their attention is to cause costs to increase.

While bringing in new revenue isn't around the corner...the fee doubling
increase is spelled out on the fees page - while the advice of the board
is for everyone to get on board the IPv6 bandwagon...we let them know that
there is little incentive as their fees will double in 7 months or so -
payment for IPv4 and IPv6 Dec 2007,  expire date of IPv6 waiver.

So if we think we are helping the IT department to make a case to the
business folks - I can tell you that most business's CFOs  will see a
doubling of fees as a reason wait. To a business guy it's kind of like
buying tires , they dont see a need for, because they come with a 90 days
of no payments.

To me, it seems that our organization is more focused on the negative
aspects of marketing the end of the IPv4 world, as opposed to marketing a
more incentive oriented approach. A perfect example is the IPv6 request
form, riddled with questions that promote postponement and lead to
procrastination.  We are doing a good job of promoting the end of the
world as we know it...but have spent very little effort making sure that
everyone knows what the roses smell like in the new world.  The request
form - the businesses fee doubling effect present a different smell of the
roses.

Or am I missing something published on ARIN?  Could it be I am mistaken
(that happens often enough) that our elected are composed of both business
savvy and tech savvy individuals?

bob evans