[ppml] getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun May 20 18:59:56 EDT 2007

Lee Dilkie wrote:
[..]
> "You" refers to producers of IP address space, in this case ARIN and
> ARIN's members, the ISPs. I'm not included in that list as I am not an
> ARIN member and as I've been made painfully aware, not entitled to
> making policy decisions.

That is nonsense, as anybody who wants, can participate in the policy
making process of (afaik) all the RIR's. You don't have to be an ISP to
participate, you just need to provide (technically) valid arguments.

For one, I am not an ISP, nor do I work for one, still I can raise my
voice on this list and propose things that in my opinion would be good
for ARIN to do. Of course a lot of people don't like my ideas and what I
say, and they come up with their argumentation about it, therefor
defeating my statements, which I then have to adjust to counter them.
That is called discussion and negotiation.

> "They" refers to the consumers of IP address space, the end customers
> for the most part. It's those folks who need to be convinced to make the
> move to IPv6.

Why do they need to be convinced? It is the ISP that needs to provide
the service to the enduser, as such the end user should ask for this
service from their ISP. Then their ISP can provide it to the enduser.

When you as an enduser run your own (Internet connected) network then
you are in effect ISP.

The enduser pays the ISP, as such vote with your money. If you don't
like what they are doing, tell them, if they keep on doing that, change
ISP, if there is no other ISP and you really think you have a valid
point, set up your own ISP. After all, it is a free market (at least
they claim it is ;)

> If all the dire predictions are true, the producers will be out of a job
> unless they can convince the consumers to switch to the new address
> space.

Why would they be out of a job? A lot of ISP's have enough address space
handy to last for quite some time, base reason being that address space
is provided with a 2 year forecast in some regions. They can also
provide connectivity in other ways.

> Not unlike Microsoft's efforts to convince us that a new OS is a
> "must have" every few years....

What does M$ have to do with ARIN? Except that they are a long way ahead
already and providing several transition mechanisms to IPv6.

Same as with the ISP, if you don't like it, vote with your money and do
something else. You actually do have the freedom you know. Complaining
about it to a mass of people who do not work there, or actually can't
care less about your whining, won't help you any step further to
accomplish where you are whining about.

If you have something against the RIR process, then _propose_ an
alternate path. Methods of proposing are on the website and accessible
to everybody, ARIN member or not. It's like a real democracy, but then
not the US kind and actually open. Here your voice, when properly put,
is actually listened to. Also, as mentioned on this list, in this very
thread, there are people who can help you formulate those proposals.

Greets,
 Jeroen