[ppml] getting converts to V6

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Sun May 20 16:44:07 EDT 2007

Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> [...]
My bad. I forget that many on the list are not english speaking as a
first language.

"You" refers to producers of IP address space, in this case ARIN and
ARIN's members, the ISPs. I'm not included in that list as I am not an
ARIN member and as I've been made painfully aware, not entitled to
making policy decisions. If I were an ARIN member, I would have used the
term "we".

"They" refers to the consumers of IP address space, the end customers
for the most part. It's those folks who need to be convinced to make the
move to IPv6.

If all the dire predictions are true, the producers will be out of a job
unless they can convince the consumers to switch to the new address
space. Not unlike Microsoft's efforts to convince us that a new OS is a
"must have" every few years.... As others have said (and my mechanical
engineering prof first told me), you can't push a rope. You need to make
it a compelling decision. Going about this like a typical government
organization is not the way to reach your goals. Throwing up artificial
costs is hardly a good start...
> Cost of assigning a number includes the time to evaluate the
> request, time to record it, and maintenance of the recording
> system, not to mention infrastructure around it.

No offense. But the cost of assigning me a drivers license, including
all the testing and whatnot, is *far* less than ARIN's fees. Someone is
making a boatload of money here. Or wasting a boatload. Either way, my
original statement stands.

> Lee

-lee