[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Fri May 18 17:30:27 EDT 2007

Randy Bush wrote:
> > Your analogies are fine, but try another one:
> > We are on the space shuttle (no engines or means for a go-around) and
> the
> > current glide slope is too steep to avoid a hard landing because there
> is
> > not enough distance left (reserve pool) to the runway. All you can
> really do
> > is brace for impact ...
>
> not applicable.  in fact, rather embarrassing hyperbole.  the internet
> is
> not going to crash.  there will be no news at 11.
>
> ipv4 space will slowly transition to a different model of distribution,
> where folk chop it finer, buy, sell, and trade, etc.  you will still be
> able
> to get ipv4 space 20 years from now, just not as cheaply as you can now,
> just as we pay more now than we did 20 years ago.  life goes on.  so
> will
> the internet.
>
> we need to understand these changes, be prepared for them technically
> and in
> our business plans, etc.  where we is both the users of the space and
> the
> registrars of the space such as arin.  hence the work on certifying the
> rights to use resources.
>
> personally, i am more worried that the vendors are being a bit, shall we
> be
> polite and say, optimistic about their ability to converge with
> O(10^6|7)
> routes in the dfz than i am about not being able to get ipv4 space if i
> really need it.
>
> chicken little was wrong.

I did not say that the Internet would end. What does end rather abruptly
though is the wonderland where the RIRs are in any position to claim
stewardship. Yes you will be able to get space on the open market, but what
is your incentive to retain membership at ARIN and have to report back all
the blocks you just acquired? Bottom line; where does ARIN funding come from
in a world where addresses are traded on eBay?

That actually raises the bogus point that keeps coming up from time to time,
IPv6 addresses are not free despite claims to the contrary. Unless RIR
membership became free and I didn't notice... ;)

Tony