[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri May 18 17:01:27 EDT 2007

> Your analogies are fine, but try another one:
> We are on the space shuttle (no engines or means for a go-around) and the
> current glide slope is too steep to avoid a hard landing because there is
> not enough distance left (reserve pool) to the runway. All you can really do
> is brace for impact ...

not applicable.  in fact, rather embarrassing hyperbole.  the internet is
not going to crash.  there will be no news at 11.

ipv4 space will slowly transition to a different model of distribution,
where folk chop it finer, buy, sell, and trade, etc.  you will still be able
to get ipv4 space 20 years from now, just not as cheaply as you can now,
just as we pay more now than we did 20 years ago.  life goes on.  so will
the internet.

we need to understand these changes, be prepared for them technically and in
our business plans, etc.  where we is both the users of the space and the
registrars of the space such as arin.  hence the work on certifying the
rights to use resources.

personally, i am more worried that the vendors are being a bit, shall we be
polite and say, optimistic about their ability to converge with O(10^6|7)
routes in the dfz than i am about not being able to get ipv4 space if i
really need it.

chicken little was wrong.

randy