[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Fri May 18 16:51:35 EDT 2007

Your analogies are fine, but try another one:
We are on the space shuttle (no engines or means for a go-around) and the
current glide slope is too steep to avoid a hard landing because there is
not enough distance left (reserve pool) to the runway. All you can really do
is brace for impact ...

I am not opposed to an approach like soft-landing, but the markers have to
recognize that consumption is accelerating. This is where 2007-12 failed,
because it effectively built in an assumption of a close to flat 10 /8's per
year. The trend says we will be below 40 /8's in the pool by the end of this
year, and right at if not below 20 by the end of next year. Consider that
there are effectively 30 months left, and then think about how much time
people will need to respond before setting the thresholds.

To a first order I would blow off the wait for 40, and just start requiring
a plan now. Since we will be approaching 30 about a year from now, that
might make sense as an 'implementation required' threshold; as either the
pool depth or 7/1/08 whichever comes first. Beyond that there is very little
that will make any difference, including reclamation or redefining 240/4.
One might think about going for 'implementation required' starting at the
end of this year, which would give close to 2 years of parallel run rate,
but that would set off a short term panic because it does not leave time for
a business plan response.

To a first order I agree with Randy that it is not the RIR's job to force
the members to be proactive. At the same time it is a reasonable part of
stewardship to make sure the membership is informed so the inevitable claims
about 'you didn't tell me' can be dealt with. In light of this, the message
has to go out to everyone, not just those that are actively applying; so the
past policy proposals appear to be short-sighted in that you only find out
about the change when you come knocking for more.

Tony