[ppml] getting converts to V6

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Fri May 18 17:17:24 EDT 2007

David Conrad wrote:
> > The biggest driver in fib growth
> > inside isp's isn't the DFZ in many cases, it's revenue producing
> > services like 2547 vpn's. ipv6 fib growth isn't even on the radar.
>
> Yep.  I've been told there are ISPs out there that already are
> dealing with > 500K routes and are seeing convergence issues. And
> when these ISPs go to their vendors and ask for the roadmap for
> hardware, the upgrade deployment cycle outstrips the hardware
> development cycle.
>
> However, maybe the folk from those ISPs were exaggerating... (hard
> for me to tell)

It is more like the deployment cycle outstrips their budget. One would think
that since the VPN's that are really causing the problem are revenue
producing, there would be a feedback path to align growth with budgets. Then
again one might think that large organizations had their internal act
together and could even consider acting in a coordinated manner.  ;)

Tony