[ppml] getting converts to V6

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Fri May 18 14:29:39 EDT 2007

This all gets at the question of  "why must PI always be the answer?".

At the beginning of the Internet, things worked well, but we soon found
out the address space and routing weren't scalable.
PI was the only thing around, and people allocated globally unique IP's
to everything (hey, I might be able to afford a full time 9600 slip link
to the 256kbps backbone
so I can read netnews at home one day!). There's nothing wrong with
those assumptions if it scales, which it didn't with IPv4 and the
routers of the day.
(The irony: I have my globally unique addresses and a lot more
bandwidth, but the market has been so conditioned by lowered
expectations and an un-even playing field that I can't route them for
the price I'm willing to pay)

The growth of the Internet was unprecedented and took everyone off
guard.  People made some bad decisions - look at the stock market
bubble, and people made technical fixes to IPv4 and the routing
architecture of the time. Some of those technical and policy decisions
were justifiable to keep things going, but they lowered expectations.
They created second-class net citizens. The quick fixes got us used to
kludges and hacks to keep things working, and we're so used to second
best that people ask "why must PI always be the answer?"

IPv6 solved the address scalability problem.

BGPv4 and Moore's law took the urgency off of the routing problem for
IPv4, and hopefully IPv6 for a while. I make BGP and networks run for a
living, I think routing scalability is still an issue, but I don't see
the same sense of panic any more. People in the industry now expect the
growth, so maybe they aren't as shocked by it any more. I don't know
what the answer is, but I think there are more tools and people working
on sensible solutions.

Quoting from IETF 68 "5-10 years of growth" and "No need for panic"
(they conclude there's no firm answer and more research required). I
prefer to think that we'll just reach a plateau or natural limit on the
Internet - and I hope in most areas as well - we live in a world with
finite resources and humans with finite capabilities. We don't expect
cars to double in speed every few years. Keyboards don't need to get new
keys every generation etc. (keyboards will be replaced by something
altogether before humans evolve extra (fewer?) digits!)

Back to Policy:

We have the luxury of being able to do the "Right Thing".  We're not
going to run out of (v6) addresses and the routing infrastructure is not
going to collapse in six months or a year, so we don't need knee-jerk
solutions. My impression is that we're on the right track with respect
to PI in IPv6. I definitely don't think we should use the shortcomings
of the current routing architecture to justify making any new bad or
unfair policy decisions.

Soft Landing:  this proposal is reasonable in principle and it or
something very much like it needs to be the roadmap for getting from
IPv4 to v6.

If this proposal doesn't gain consensus, then surely the consensus is
"there is no policy on transitioning from IPv4 to IPv6". if that's the
real consensus it would be nice to have it expressed. I would be happy
to help construct such a policy, since it's a win either way.