[ppml] getting converts to V6

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri May 18 17:15:08 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, May 17, 2007 at 04:41:49PM -0400, David Conrad wrote:
> > The biggest driver in fib growth
> > inside isp's isn't the DFZ in many cases, it's revenue producing
> > services like 2547 vpn's. ipv6 fib growth isn't even on the radar.
>
> Yep.  I've been told there are ISPs out there that already are
> dealing with > 500K routes and are seeing convergence issues. And
> when these ISPs go to their vendors and ask for the roadmap for
> hardware, the upgrade deployment cycle outstrips the hardware
> development cycle.

I've told this to people off list before, but it seems to be a
repeat topic.

At least one "major ISP" recently gave us a presentation on their
2547 VPN offering.  As part of that, I asked them what limited they
imposed on the number of routes (inside the VPN) and I was told
5,000 per site.  We have 45 sites, so that could potentially be
225,000 prefixes just from one customer!  Fortunately for them we're
not that messy internally.

Now, 2547 routes don't look like internet routes, and your core may
not need to know about them, and all that.  At the same time, it's
hard to have a lot of sympathy for "my internet routing table is
too big" when you're willing to put that much trash per customer
into your routing table.