[ppml] getting converts to V6

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri May 18 00:43:46 EDT 2007

On May 17, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Yep.  I've been told there are ISPs out there that already are
>> dealing with > 500K routes and are seeing convergence issues. And
>> when these ISPs go to their vendors and ask for the roadmap for
>> hardware, the upgrade deployment cycle outstrips the hardware
>> development cycle.
>
> funny.  just last week, the big two router vendors stood in front
> of us at
> ripe and said two million prefixes today and ten million in a few
> years.

I've seen one of those presentations (although I was not at RIPE).

I will admit some confusion.

Perhaps the ISP folks aren't talking to the right folks in the router
vendors?  After all, the market for 2M prefixes is really, really
small so your general sales droid most likely won't know about the
full details...

Or perhaps the ISP folk were simply exaggerating?

In any event, routing problem solved: just flat route everything.
Makes lots of things much easier.  Never need to renumber.  You get
mobility for free (without doing stupid backhaul tricks).  Multi-
homing is mostly trivial (still have to know BGP, but there are books
for that). No need to fix the routing architecture.  No need to re-
deploy existing IPv6 stacks.  No need to worry: crunch all you want,
the router vendors will make more.

Would that other things in life were this easy.

Rgds,
-drc