[ppml] getting converts to V6

Paul Vixie vixie at vix.com
Wed May 16 16:34:19 EDT 2007

> So, why isn't your complaint that no one has built a good, reasonable,
> easy method or tool for renumbering

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  (A6 and DNAME.)

> or developed an assignment scheme or way of routing that would allow
> you to not have to renumber or renumber entirely?

in the IPng wars, many folks asserted that without a solution to the
routing problem, adding more address bits would both fail to solve
existing problems and also make existing problems worse and also cause
new problems.  as you can see, those folks lost the war.  ("too little,
too soon." --tli)

> There's more than one way to handle a problem.  Why must PI always be the
> answer?  (because the other is harder? takes more time? more collaboration?

because it's the knob we have, on the mechanism we have, rather than the knob
we wish we had on the mechanism we don't have.