[ppml] Private Internet Addresses Was: getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed May 16 16:11:18 EDT 2007

[Changed subject from a religious topic to more appropriate, but still
not on topic for ppml as it discusses technicalities, not policy.]

Heather Schiller wrote:
> So, why isn't your complaint that no one has built a good, reasonable,
> easy method or tool for renumbering or developed an assignment scheme or
> way of routing that would allow you to not have to renumber or renumber
> entirely?   There's more than one way to handle a problem.  Why must PI
> always be the answer?  (because the other is harder? takes more time?
> more collaboration? __?)

I actually, kind of, agree with the fact that people will want to have
their own private globally unique block of "Private Internet Addresses",
you know "PI Addresses". The current routing model though does not
support this.

For these people I suggest they look at things like ORCHID / HIP.
As these will provide people with the properties they are looking for.

People seem to also confuse telephone numbers, which they can keep since
a few years, with IP addresses. They are not the same. DNS is what you
keep and what is independent from anything. And telephone numbers are in
effect, inside the telephone system, also DNS entries.

Greets,
 Jeroen