[ppml] getting converts to V6

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed May 16 14:13:15 EDT 2007

This is the message  wanted to reply to...

At 1:42 PM -0400 5/16/07, John Santos wrote:
>I have no problem with the current policy.  I have my class C and
>don't need any more.
>
>However, you people do seem to have a problem and want to force
>us little guys into selling our souls to some big ISP, except we
>don't get anything from this, instead we have to pay through the
>nose.

If this is the impression given by the RIRs, then the RIRs are not
doing what I think we should be doing.

>How much does it actually cost to maintain a single record, a few
>hundred bytes of information that never changes?

Not much, and I would argue that the value in the maintenance of the
record is far greater to me, a paying member, than to the legacy
holder.  The beneficiaries of the registration function of ARIN are
all those that ever check to see where a packet came from, member or
non.

Where we get tied up is trying to apply other value-added services,
like resource certification.  I don't think that ARIN ought to
certify any registration to an individual/organization that it does
not have a defined relationship with.  (I'm being loose with words
here, as I don't know how I'd deal with a POC that is a member and
uses PGP authentication mode to manage a legacy block.)

>As best I can tell, you would want to charge me several hundred
>dollars a year, close to a dollar per address, whereas large ISPs
>get addresses for a fraction of a penny per year.

That would be unreasonable - unless you were benefiting
commensurably.  Certainly small space holders should not be
subsidizing large space holders.

>You guys want people to jump on the IPv6 bandwagon.  You really want
>them to jump on the money wagon.
>
>Not bloody likely.

I don't think we guys want anyone to jump anywhere.  The fact is that
the IPv4 address space is not big enough for a global Internet
Protocol infrastructure, so I guess we do encourage people to jump
off that raft.  I think that the value in moving to a larger address
space technology has real value, all other things being equal.

Joining IPv6 now is different from joining IPv4 before.  In the old
days, you could get address space "free" because any benefit if the
space came at a high risk (the Internet was an unknown quantity then)
and there was little perceived need for responsible use rules (not
much to steal then).  Nowadays, the value of being on the Internet is
a known quantity and there are things to steal (DDoS, credit card
databases, etc.) so there is justification for higher barriers to
entry.  Not necessarily cost but at least documentation, an agreement
on terms, and some means to interact securely with the registry.