[ppml] getting converts to V6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 16 11:59:49 EDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> [somebody wrote off-list, replying on-list, bcc'd to the replyer]
>
>> $2400 per year is not a small fee.  It is $200 per month.
>> Add 2 T1's to that and you get $1500/Month.
>> That is more than a house man, just to run BGP and be ISP
>> independent.

It's also not an accurate reflection of the IPv6 end-user fees.

Currently, you only need to pay $500 initially per assignment.  Then,
your
annual maintenance fees are $100 per year for _ALL_ ARIN resources.
So, if you already have an ASN or IPv4 space, your additional cost per
year is $0.

If you're an ISP, then, theoretically, you have customers paying you for
your services and $1,500 per month divided by the 200 customers you
plan to have within a year works out to less than $8/customer.

> You pay <1500/month for a house? Which place is that?
> That is what you pay for a single room over here.

Yep... Same here.

> Strange pricing, I think you are being ripped off for a T1 @ $650/
> month.
> To put it in another way, you are paying $1300*12 = $15600/year for IP
> but can't pay $2400 for the actual addresses!? And forgetting all
> about
> the factors like hardware, power, humans involved etc. Skewed world.
>
>> That's a big expense just to be ISP independent.

That's about what circuit+service costs for T1 run these days.
If you've got a better deal, contact me off list.  I could use a cheap
T1 to back up my DSL.

> It is indeed a huge privilege to be ISP independent. It takes a lot of
> knowledge and investment of various things to do it correctly.
> If you are incapable of doing that, then please don't. There are
> enough
> unmanaged networks on the Internet already and really another
> couple of
> them is something to avoid.

It's not a privilege, but, it does take knowledge, effort, and
equipment.

I won't dignify the monetization rants in either direction.

Owen