[ppml] getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Wed May 16 11:25:10 EDT 2007

[somebody wrote off-list, replying on-list, bcc'd to the replyer]

> $2400 per year is not a small fee.  It is $200 per month.
> Add 2 T1's to that and you get $1500/Month.
> That is more than a house man, just to run BGP and be ISP independent.

You pay <1500/month for a house? Which place is that?
That is what you pay for a single room over here.

Strange pricing, I think you are being ripped off for a T1 @ $650/month.
To put it in another way, you are paying $1300*12 = $15600/year for IP
but can't pay $2400 for the actual addresses!? And forgetting all about
the factors like hardware, power, humans involved etc. Skewed world.

> That's a big expense just to be ISP independent.

It is indeed a huge privilege to be ISP independent. It takes a lot of
knowledge and investment of various things to do it correctly.
If you are incapable of doing that, then please don't. There are enough
unmanaged networks on the Internet already and really another couple of
them is something to avoid.

> ARIN's frugle policy is killing the Internet off for all but the rich.
> ARIN's annual budget is 10 million dollars, the fat cats need to just give
> out the rest of the Ips already so we can move on to the next stage of the
> Internet.

They are a not for profit organization. As such they don't make a profit.

If you don't like the billing schemes, then create a proposal and submit
it, get people to vote for it and it will be passed. You will be able to
get IP addresses for 'free' and they will for sure all be gone soon
enough, with a lot of other people coming a bit later complaining about
it. Of course they would still have to justify that address space before
they get it.

> By dragging out IPV4 you are only damaging the Internet by driving the price
> of IP space to the moon.

When oil runs out, what happens to the price of oil? Now repeat the same
question for IPv4 space. (That is if you actually are so stupid to pay
for it to somebody else when ARIN asks only a mere $1500/year)

> The way they are doing it now in 5 years a single class C will go for
> $100,000 dollars on the IP black market.

Better hold on to your /24 then. (It's /24, Classes where deprecated in
1993, which is already 14 years ago, see RFC1519)

Clearly, if it is going to be worth 100k, then your feeble $200/month to
ARIN is nothing now is it. Better invest on time ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen