[ppml] getting converts to V6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 15 19:30:59 EDT 2007

William Herrin wrote:
[..]
> When I was an undergrad way back before the bubble, I filled out a
> trivial form with no payments or prerequisites and got a class C
> assignment for the private network I shared with two other students in
> our apartment.

Let me put that in current time and applying it to IPv6, as clearly you
can't read what I wrote in my previous messages:

I filled in no forms, and got from various places several THOUSAND of
/48's for free: 30x /40 to be exact at current time.
Or to count them a bit: 7680 /48's or 503.316.480 /64's.

And you claim you can't get a single /48!? Strange...

Do also note that those come including free transit et all provided by
really good quality ISP's who make sure that the backbone stays running.
This being made available for free to a LOT of people over the last 5+
years already, who have been doing a lot of experimentation and use already.

To put it more in your perspective, I am still only a postgrad, and that
only since last year. So these nice experiments of old time are still
possible, I have been doing them for the last 7 years already, ever
since I was an undergrad.

It actually has become much easier. Just sign up with one of the various
Tunnel Broker systems out there and get your own publicly routeable
address space.

No, indeed it is not PI, no you can't do BGP. But is that what you where
talking about? If you need BGP, you most likely have two upstreams, if
you have that you also need some routers and other hardware to really
make it useable, and not forget transit costs. If you are able to cover
those you are playing with the big boys already.

Times change, it is different now. If you want a toy chunk space of
Internet, contact one of the various organizations around the Internet
that can provide you with such a chunk so that you can play with it.
There are also organizations that provide you with BGP if you really
want it.

When you are doing real business or simply want to play with the big
boys, and in that case you can easily pay the small fee that is attached
to it.

Greets,
 Jeroen

And if you still haven't figured out that I am writing about SixXS, here
is the link: http://www.sixxs.net which is, as you can read from the
About page, just a privately conducted development of software which
grew a teeny weeny tiny bit out of hand.

For the other projects, Google is your friend, they are out there.