[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri May 11 17:37:49 EDT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 1:11 PM, David Williamson wrote:
> As some applications may take that
> long to completely process, that will put staff in the unhappy
> position
> of having to figure out which policies go with which applications.

I actually try to address that within the policy:

"If multiple thresholds should be crossed within a 30 day period, the
requirements from the last threshold crossed will be applied to
requesters for additional address space."

The reason for the large number of phases was to try to make the
change in requirements gradual instead of big jumps.  It might be
worth noting that an intended impact of this policy would be to
extend the lifetime of the remaining free pool, so Geoff's lifetime
projections could become a bit skewed if the policy were implemented.

However, I'd be willing to reduce the number of phases if
appropriate. I wrote the proposal before Geoff's latest projections
were published, so if you believe his numbers, I thought we had more
time than we actually do.

Rgds,
-drc