[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 2 15:52:13 EDT 2007

> if an asp or web hosting company allocates a /32 to an organization
> other
> than itself, for example a customer with an SSL service (where it's
> impossible
> due to the protocol design to put more than one customer on an IP
> address)
> then they are in my opinion, by ARIN's current definition, an ISP.
> they also
> need portable multihomable address space since it is otherwise
> impossible, due
> to the routing system design, to compete on reachability and price
> level
> against larger/older providers.  ARIN doesn't do protocol design
> like SSL nor
> routing system design like BGP, but we have to recognize the
> effects on the
> industry of design choices made in those protocols and systems.

In general, if you are assigning /32s to customer utilization, but, not
to independently routed segments (e.g. you have a bunch of customers
on the same server each assigned a /32), then, no, you don't meet
ARIN's definition of an ISP.

If you are, for some bizarre reason, routing /32s as separate segments,
then, I suppose, technically, you are reassigning networks and meet the
ARIN test for ISP-ness if you want to.

Portable Multihomable addresses for ASPs and the like are usually
handled under the Multihomed End User policies.  At least such was
the case with Netli and some other ASPs I have worked with.

> note that these are my opinions alone, and may not reflect those of
> the board
> of trustees, nor my daytime employer.

Understood.  As are mine above.

Owen