[ppml] policies at ARIN

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Mar 14 20:07:23 EDT 2007

At 14:45 -0700 3/14/07, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>We all know why some proposal submitters don't bounce ideas around first.
>It is because they are convinced that their idea is perfect the way it
>is and they aren't open to suggestions for modification.  After all it
>takes a giant ego to make the assumption that you have a solution to a
>problem that is better than any other solution anyone else hasn't thought
>of yet.  Such egos are necessary to shepherd an idea through to
>implementation, but they are usually pretty rotten about accepting
>suggestions for alternatives, it is just the nature of the beast.

While that may be true in some cases, why assume that it is true for
this instance?  Have these proposers given evidence of having "giant
egos?"  Have they dismissed "suggestions for alternatives?"

In this case, the policy proposed here was previously presented at
APNIC.  The APNIC member meeting was March 2, ARIN's member meeting
is April 25.  (I am using those dates "for instance" as the policy
discussions are usually a few days earlier in each region.)  I.e.,
the level of detail of this proposal is present because (for one) it
was presented once already.  It had to be in shape 6+ weeks early to
meet the APNIC calendar.

I happen to be aware that the proposers have been seeking opinions
and are open to suggestions for this proposal.