[ppml] policies at ARIN Re: Proposed Policy: IPv4 Countdown

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Mar 14 09:50:02 EDT 2007

At 12:49 +0000 3/14/07, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>REGIONAL Internet Registry means Regional. Even though my desk is in
>London, England, my company relies on ARIN as the prime supplier of
>network addresses and our network in the USA is the core of our success
>as a business. Even though many of us particpate in other regional fora,
>including other RIRs, the fact is that the system still allows for
>in-region policy-making.

Consideration is regional, but the ideas are global.  (I'm reacting
to "this policy proposal was made by people from outside the ARIN
region.")

The RIRs have to act in concert, lest we invite competition.  Geoff
Huston has an excellent article on that on CircleID explaining why
that is bad.

>I wish the NRO web page was more clear on global policy proposals but it
>did seem to me that one should submit a proposal to them first, before
>it goes to the RIRs. That way we, at the RIR level, only have to deal
>with well-crafted and well thought-out global policy proposals.

And now you are singing along with me, at least the part about
needing to be more clear.

>Personally, I think the problem is with the proposal submitters. We have
>a discussion list here. No one says that you can't discuss a proposal
>before submitting it. Why don't more people bounce around an idea and
>get several opinions on the policy and its wording, before submitting
>it. You need to get some contrarian views to get the rough edges off of
>your policy before make it an official proposal.

Why don't people bounce around an idea?

1) Email is in general poor for expressing wide ranging topics.

2) The rude nature of replies that sometimes appear on this list.

3) The lack of responses to questions at times.

4) The lack of enough clue on this list to comprehend all of the
angles.  (And I include me as clueless on many issues, e.g., law,
privacy, etc.)

5) The sporadic high volume of mail on some topics that drowns out
all other conversation.