[ppml] Transfers and Fees (was: something else, from a week ago)

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Mar 14 17:17:31 EDT 2007

> I don't entirely agree with that.  We try not to use fees as a
> bludgeon, although I admit one of the reasons for maintenance fees
> is to make sure there's somebody still at the other end.

The very fact that ARIN holds the addresses as uniquely registered for
an organization's use is a benefit to the organization. The maintenance
fee is for that service because without fee income, ARIN cannot maintain
the registry. In addition, ARIN provides in-addr.arpa services that all
block holders benefit from. And if an org is no longer benefiting from
holding a uniquely registered block of addresses, then it can no longer
justify their use.

--Michael Dillon