[ppml] REMOVE

Dave dave at pon.net
Thu Mar 15 21:22:34 EDT 2007

------- Original Message -------
>From    : Ted Mittelstaedt[mailto:tedm at ipinc.net]
Sent    : 3/15/2007 6:18:54 PM
To      : jcurran at istaff.org
Cc      : ppml at arin.net
Subject : RE: Re: [ppml] Getting aggressive about vetting

I think that this should go in stages, you see.  There is going to
have to be a lot of work in bringing space under registry control
first, obviously.  But, eventually your going to have to confront
the idea of how to audit.

In the United States the IRS does tax audits based on a secret
algorithm they use when looking at tax returns.  It seems to me
that such a computer program could be designed for ARIN that would
read through all assignments and cough up a list of likely audit
candidates.  For example, if an organization has not changed a
SWIP in over 5 years, that might increase it's chances of getting an
IP audit.

An IP audit could consist of nothing more than ARIN sending a letter
to the administrative contact requesting a signed statement from the
contact that the allocation is still being used.

My guess is that doing some very simple things like this would
likely uncover a large amount of unused space.

Ted