[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Tue Jul 31 15:49:11 EDT 2007

Yep. I have no problem with making a fool out of myself in public. I
have lots of practice.

> if the users can not deploy without gear, then they can not use the
> address space, so they can not justify it.  if they had the
> gear today,
> they would be trying v6 off their dual-stack transit provider today.
> they are not.  the reason is that they do not care.  they just want
> their mtv.

There is a circular issue here -- I can't justify a request for IPv6
address space because I can't get the gear to use it.  But I can't tell
vendors I need IPv6 gear because I don't can't get IPv6 address space.

So, where do I start?

ARIN can't do much directly to convince vendors to make IPv6 more
visible and available.  ARIN can make it easier for end users to get
IPv6 address space.

> giving PI space to anyone who passes on the street corner is not gonna
> do one bleeding thing for ipv6 other than make a future mess and have
> folk screaming about those who got space in the big give-away of the
> 2008-2010 era, just as they scream at legacy holders today.

I'm not advocating giving PI space to anyone on the street corner, only
those who are paying enough attention to the process to know that ARIN
exists, and can document 200 or so nodes.

There are a couple of differences between this and the pre-ARIN legacy
IPv4 allocations.

-- This would be covered by an ARIN RSA
-- This would be covered by the ARIN annual fee

There are also some similarities.

-- In the early 90's, a number of organizations got IPv4 addresses
before they had any hope of connecting to the internet.
-- The fact that there was a market for IPv4 networking equipment helped
drive vendors to market IPv4 equipment.

The fact that folk today are screaming about legacy address holders is
because ARIN mostly ignored the legacy address holders so the legacy
address holders mostly ignored ARIN.  That is water over the bridge now
so lets move on and make different mistakes.

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA