[ppml] PIv6 for legacy holders (/w RSA + efficient use)

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 13:47:15 EDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> > Having policy provide options like this doesn't hurt, but not likely
> > to make such legacy assignees suddenly have any reason  to migrate,
> > unless they already want V6 space it's not a carrot for them.
>
> and it is our job to use policy to 'make' anyone migrate why?

The technical decision for each network, whether it migrates is up to
that network.

However, as a steward of addresses, ARIN should be encouraging users
to drink from
some well other than the one that is about to run dry.

V6 is the only other well, and right now it's underutilized, because most
networks use V4 addresses instead of V6 addresses.

For any network that migrates to V6, fewer V4 addresses should eventually be
needed, now, and more V4 addresses would then be freed up for V6 users who
have a need to operate V6<->V4 gateways so that V4 users can continue
to reach their key public services after they have migrated to V6.

It makes sense to offer incentives to spur migration now, but not
excessive incentives
(like prolonging "legacy status" to V6).

I think it won't be justifiable to offer incentives, once enough major
migration to V6
happens: the incentive becomes continued interoperability with the
rest of the world.

--
-J