[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Jul 27 22:06:59 EDT 2007

William Herrin wrote:
> Scott,
> Here's the relevant policy, emphasis mine:
>
> http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html
>
>   6.5.8.1:   To qualify for a direct [IPv6] assignment, an
>   organization must [...] qualify for an IPv4 assignment
>   or allocation from ARIN under the IPv4 policy CURRENTLY
>   IN EFFECT.
>
> I wish that sentence was, "... must have qualified for and received an
> IPv4 assignment or allocation managed by ARIN." The difference
> excludes thousands of organizations in good standing with resources
> under ARIN's management, including mine.
>
> I hold a multihomed /23 under ARIN's management. The contacts are up
> to date and its all in good standing. I DO NOT qualify for the minimum
> /22 assignment under the policy currently in effect. Therefore I DO
> NOT qualify for an IPv6 end-user assignment.

Ah, ok.  I wouldn't mind rephrasing that portion of 6.5.8.1 to read
"qualify for an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN under the IPv4
policy currently in effect, or have qualified for, received, and
continue to efficiently utilize an IPv4 assignment or allocation from ARIN."

Would that qualify you for IPv6 PI?

And, out of curiosity, when/how did you get a directly assigned /23?
Did you have to qualify for it under rules similar to the rules
currently in place for PI /22's?  Have you been able to maintain
efficient utilization by ARIN's current standards?

-Scott