[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Jul 27 21:32:51 EDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:
> Anyone who's multihomed and has a direct IPv4 assignment from ARIN (PI
> space) today already qualifies for a similar IPv6 PI assignment.  I'm
> not sure which existing policy you're referring to with your first
> statement, or who would need to say such a thing in the ARIN region.

Scott,

Here's the relevant policy, emphasis mine:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

  6.5.8.1:   To qualify for a direct [IPv6] assignment, an
  organization must [...] qualify for an IPv4 assignment
  or allocation from ARIN under the IPv4 policy CURRENTLY
  IN EFFECT.

I wish that sentence was, "... must have qualified for and received an
IPv4 assignment or allocation managed by ARIN." The difference
excludes thousands of organizations in good standing with resources
under ARIN's management, including mine.

I hold a multihomed /23 under ARIN's management. The contacts are up
to date and its all in good standing. I DO NOT qualify for the minimum
/22 assignment under the policy currently in effect. Therefore I DO
NOT qualify for an IPv6 end-user assignment.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us