[ppml] Soliciting comments: IPv4 to IPv6 fast migration

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Fri Jul 27 22:28:16 EDT 2007

On 7/27/07, Stephen Sprunk <stephen at sprunk.org> wrote:
> However, I think the number of folks that have PIv4 space (legacy or not)
> but wouldn't qualify for a new minimum-sized block is fairly small.  And,
> for that matter, most of us wouldn't miss them [...]
> I'm far more worried about getting Google, eBay, MySpace,
> CNN, etc. on v6 than I am the small folks

Stephen,

That's an interesting take on the problem. As I mentioned, I run a
small multihomed network. I suspect you've visited one of my web
sites; most people have. But that's not my day job. In my day job I'm
the lead networking manager at a $400M organization whose name would
be right at home among the ones you listed.

So riddle me this: after disrespecting me on my little network, how
exactly were you planning to convince me to push IPv6 deployment on
the big one?

Of course, I'm probably unique. I'm sure none of Google's senior
network staff holds a legacy IPv4 assignment.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us