[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication ofLegacyResources

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Jul 26 15:30:21 EDT 2007

> My understanding is that "consideration" means money, or something that
> has monetary value such as shares, gold, a car with resale value. If
> there was no consideration, then there is no contract.
>
> This is the reason why, during World War II, a large number of
> businessmen offered their services to the government for a dollar a day.
> The payment was required in order to have an enforceable contract with
> these dollar-a-day men.
>
> This is why I don't believe that legacy holders have any right to the
> addresses which they hold unless they can meet ARIN's current rules for
> justification of address space. And as we get closer to the IPv4
> exhaustion point, this will become very important.

I am not a lawyer, and I don't know nearly enough to tell you how it would
work out. But I'm pretty sure the issues that are being discussed here are
not the ones that would actually be involved in any such suit. The issues
would largely be the terms of the contracts by which ARIN gets its
authority, whether ARIN is in compliance with those contracts, and whether
or not the legacy holders are intended third-party beneficiaries of those
contracts with legal standing to enforce or enjoin ARIN's performance.

DS