[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of LegacyResources

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Thu Jul 26 12:22:57 EDT 2007

On 7/26/07, Steve Bertrand <steveb at eagle.ca> wrote:
> The following two statements essentially are equivalent, however, I
> would stop reading and cringe in anger at the first, and be more apt to
> continue reading with the second:
>
> "we will pull your rDNS records if you don't sign this RSA"
>
> "by signing this RSA, we can assure you that your continued use of your
> IP space will remain functional with no future unforseen operational
> failure (rDNS removal etc)".

Steve,

The second version is what's known as a "protection racket." In
exchange for money, we agree to protect you from the harm we would
otherwise cause. My friend Frankie here really wants to shoot
something with his new gun, but if you pay me $100 I'll protect you
from him.

I oppose this proposal, but at least its honest about what its doing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us