[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of LegacyResources

Steve Bertrand steveb at eagle.ca
Thu Jul 26 11:46:43 EDT 2007

> This is why I don't believe that legacy holders have any right to the
> addresses which they hold unless they can meet ARIN's current rules for
> justification of address space. And as we get closer to the IPv4
> exhaustion point, this will become very important.

I don't technically agree with this.

AFAICT, ARIN has about as much right to the legacy holder's IP address
space as the legacy holder does.

Trying to coerce legacy holders to give rights over for what they have
had before ARIN existed via bullying and threats is unacceptable. Even
speaking of it will push legacy holders farther away to ever wanting to
hear any positive methods laid out in the future.

> Imagine that ARIN denies a new allocation to a member who has complied
> with ARIN rules for years. The request is denied because ARIN has just
> run out of addresses. However, there are still many legacy blocks whose
> holders have never justified their use. The disgruntled ARIN member
> decides to sue ARIN and points out to the courts that ARIN is materially
> damaging their business and is refusing to allocate address blocks which
> have never been reviewed and justified with ARIN. I suspect that the
> courts will side, more or less, with the member who has worked with the
> rules over many years, and against the legacy holder who has never shown
> any justification for holding their allocation.

I would think that some form of grandfather clause may come into play
here, but IANAL.

If you found $1M in the street and claimed it as your own, I would
suspect no court on earth would make you give me any of it if I sued you
because I have undue hardship, and can't pay my bills. Just because 'he
has more than me but doesn't use it', doesn't afford me the right to
take what isn't mine.

The following two statements essentially are equivalent, however, I
would stop reading and cringe in anger at the first, and be more apt to
continue reading with the second:

"we will pull your rDNS records if you don't sign this RSA"

"by signing this RSA, we can assure you that your continued use of your
IP space will remain functional with no future unforseen operational
failure (rDNS removal etc)".

Steve