[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of theRemaining IPv4 Address Space

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:51:22 EDT 2007

On 7/23/07, Roque Gagliano <rgaglian at antel.net.uy> wrote:

> > Perhaps it will be fewer organizations? Or perhaps it will be more
> > because people will not be as far along their IPv6 deplyoment. We know
> > that IPv4 exhaustion is not a brick wall because problems will be caused
> > by events that happen before total exhaustion. This policy proposal
> > plans to make that chaos happen sooner, when we are less prepared to
> > deal with it.
>
> How sooner?  10 months? 12 months? that is why this policies helps each
> RIR to focus on their communities needs when the central IPv4 pool is
> emptying.

I'm confused by most of these 'soft landing' sorts of proposals. These
basically all have the side effect of bringing the end-date closer to
'now'. I'm not sure that this is in anyway helpful. If people are not
aware already of some end-date for ability to get new allocations from
RIR's moving the date closer certainly isn't going to help them out...
Exhaustion of ipv4 space has been discussed for near 15 years at this
point, how are any of these proposals going to help?

In short, I don't support this proposal anymore than the last ones of it's ilk.

-Chris