[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Jul 12 17:10:07 EDT 2007

Leo Vegoda wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2007, at 12:31, Kevin Loch wrote:
>

>> The last time I looked at this, roughly 50% of the deaggregates
>> were due to inefficient allocation by RIR's (multiple prefixes
>> issued to same org) and the other half was some combination
>> of TE, laziness or incompetence.
>>

> I've not done the research myself, but I remember Harsha Narayan's
> 2003 research indicated that 89% of routing table prefixes were down
> to what he called splitting and spawning, not RIR allocation practices.

Some splitting is the result of RIR allocation practices, but that may
not be apparent just from looking at the announcements.  For example,
ARIN gives us about a /17 at a time, and we have to split that up and
allocate it, usually as /20's, to our various ASNs.  If we didn't have
to do the IPv4 justification thing, we could have a single aggregate
(/16 or so) for each ASN.  In IPv6, we'll be able to split our /32 up
into one subnet per ASN.

-Scott