[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Thu Jul 12 17:00:32 EDT 2007

On 12 Jul 2007, at 12:31, Kevin Loch wrote:

> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>>
>> If we end up with more IPv6 routes, it's because the artificial
>> limit on the
>> number of ASes has been raised an order of magnitude.
>
> The last time I looked at this, roughly 50% of the deaggregates
> were due to inefficient allocation by RIR's (multiple prefixes
> issued to same org) and the other half was some combination
> of TE, laziness or incompetence.

I've not done the research myself, but I remember Harsha Narayan's
2003 research indicated that 89% of routing table prefixes were down
to what he called splitting and spawning, not RIR allocation practices.

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/ripe-45/presentations/ripe45-eof-
harsha/page38.htm

Regards,

Leo