[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Thu Jul 12 15:31:13 EDT 2007

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> If we end up with more IPv6 routes, it's because the artificial limit on the
> number of ASes has been raised an order of magnitude.

The last time I looked at this, roughly 50% of the deaggregates
were due to inefficient allocation by RIR's (multiple prefixes
issued to same org) and the other half was some combination
of TE, laziness or incompetence.

Thus instead of ~8 prefixes/ASN we might expect to see 4/ASN.
That would be a definite improvement but you can't expect the v6 ratio
to remain at 1.1/ASN.  At some point someone is going to start doing
something real (i.e. expensive) with it and some excess routes will emerge.

- Kevin