[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Jul 12 14:24:08 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Dean Anderson" <dean at av8.com>
> "route table fragmented and inflated by IPv4"???  Let see:
> IPv4 has 32 bits, IPv6 has 128bits. Which is going to inflate
> the route table most?  Each route is 4 times larger, and we
> expect more IPv6 routes.

We do?  We've been consciously designing allocation policies so that the
number of IPv6 routes per AS will be significantly lower than with IPv4.

If we end up with more IPv6 routes, it's because the artificial limit on the
number of ASes has been raised an order of magnitude.

> I think it won't be long until IPv4 takes up a small fraction of
> router memory:  200,000 IPv6 routes take up more memory
> than 200,000 IPv4 routes.

Of course.  However, if we have 200k IPv6 routes, one would expect 2M+ IPv4
routes, and IPv4 will still end up taking more memory.

> People seem to anticipate that IPv6 will probably see several
> million routes, while IPv4 might not ever see 400,000.  It will
> never be _necessary_ to remove IPv4,

As we get closer to (and past) exhaustion, the number of IPv4 routes is
going to explode as people get more, smaller blocks instead of aggregates,
making the routes-per-AS figure even worse than it already is.  It may be
'necessary' to remove IPv4, or filter so severely as to make it useless, to
keep the DFZ healthy.

> and it will probably never ever go away.

On that, we agree.  It'll never go away completely, but it'll eventually get
pulled from the DFZ and tunneled over IPv6 to the people that still insist
on having it, or be in isolated islands behind v6/v4 NAT boxes.

> Riiiigggt.  Without IPv4, there would be no adoption of IPv6.
> We'd all be running NetBEUI or Novell, or DECnet,

Nah, the Internet would be running OSI by now.  Of course, it'd probably
still be only a few hundred hosts.  The design "flaws" of IPv4 are what
enabled the Internet to succeed and grow.

> or maybe IBM's network (name escapes me now--LU6.2 is all
> I can recall)

APPN?  That's a truly evil blast from the past; IBM managed to mix the worst
of SNA and IP together while adding other, completely new, problems.  The
only way we ever got APPN even minimally functional and reliable was to
tunnel it over IP...

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov