[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Jul 12 00:09:53 EDT 2007

> Christopher Morrow wrote:
> What I DO like though is that SHIM6 MAY offer home
> folks/consumers some simple options for their multihoming
> needs (even if they don't think they have those needs today,

I like the idea myself; when I started ipv6mh with Iljitsch ways back
when, we had a design goal of 1 billion multihomed sites. Multihoming
for the masses.

That being said, you used the word "simple" and that does not register
with shim6. Imagine the following scenario: you're a soho/smallbiz with
both DSL and cable.

There is a connectivity issue that is a bit more complex that "nothing
works"; typical: VPN between the home and the office has issues. You
have to troubleshoot that one. Good luck. First, you don't have any
tools; it's going to be ages before you put your hands on a sniffer that
understands shim6, and even longer to get it to a price that makes it
compatible with soho/smallbiz money. Second, if there is an issue with
one of the ISPs, good luck trying to explain the tech support
subcontracted overseas. Today, if you have v4 BGP peering with someone,
you'll eventually get to talk to a tech with some clue and enable. Not
for $100/month DSL or cable.

Not only the troubleshooting itself is going to be tremendously more
complex, but you won't be able to talk to anybody that has a clue.

> think about using all the wireless networks you see in your
> apartment/neighborhood to increase the meshiness of your
> personal connectivity?)

You don't need IPv6 for that. All you need is:
a) One or more cans and strings: cheap, and does help when the
neighbor's house is far away or has thick walls ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290136557728

b) More Ethernet ports, cheap also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230149843484

c) Understanding of route-maps applied to NAT and possibly
object tracking.

Then you can put all the P2P traffic on the wifi you have [cough]
borrowed from your neighbor and keep your own pipe free to surf fast :-D

Michel.