[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Jul 11 22:25:58 EDT 2007

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Seth Mattinen wrote:
>>
>> So... explain multihoming in an IPv6 world to me.
>>

> Basically, you can multihome in IPv6 the same way you do in IPv4.  If
> you qualify for PI addresses in IPv4, you also qualify for IPv6 PI (in
> the ARIN region).  You can announce your PI /48, or you PA block for
> that matter, in BGP to your upstreams.
>
> The main reason you can do the same thing in IPv6 as in IPv4 and get
> half the routes is that you're no longer allocating multiple discrete
> netblocks to a single ASN, so the ratio of routes to ASNs in the table
> is closer to 2:1 instead of 5:1.
>
> Is that what you were asking?

My main concern as a small operator myself - single AS and /22 worth of
PI space - is being forced to do something ugly like shim6 and/or stupid
DNS tricks because my single /48 ball isn't enough to play BGP with the
big boys in an IPv6 world.

I can see shim6 being a great solution for something like a end-user
VOIP handset, but not so much more past that.

~Seth