[ppml] v6 Multihoming (was Re: IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal)

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 22:12:59 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:
> > Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > So, you may have 2-3-4-5-more addresses on your host's interface
>
> I don't see that happening. It's an administrative nightmare, plus try

it's not about 'admin nightmare' it's about: "thats how the spec
reads". My point wasn't really 'in the real world this is a giant
cluster, doh!' it was that saying half the story isn't helping
anyone... Similar to the long held belief/story that 'ipv6 is more
secure!' Baloney, it's as secure as ipv4, perhaps less if you think
about the age/maturity of ipv6 stacks and deployers...

The main issue I had was with telling half the story (or in incomplete
story at the very least).

> to do security or TE with that :-( Exactly what enterprise network
> operators don't want to do, it's easier to toss $$$ at C$ or J$ and get
> a bigger router.

Agreed, it's a nightmare, I've presented/said as much here and other
places... What I DO like though is that SHIM6  MAY offer home
folks/consumers some simple options for their multihoming needs (even
if they don't tihnk they have those needs today, think about using all
the wireless networks you see in your apartment/neighborhood to
increase the meshiness of your personal connectivity?) I don't see it
being a good option for enterprises or providers, but for smaller
endstations it seems attractive... hop your iphone connection from ap
to ap as you walk down the street, hopping your voip call along the
way. Apple could have fun with that commercial. :)