[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jul 6 11:38:36 EDT 2007

In a message written on Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 02:57:46PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
> i think the reason there are no instructions is that we don't know what
> they should say.  "if you have a /16 that you would not qualify for under
> current rules, then as a legacy holder upgrading to RSA, you [may][may not]
> keep this address space."  riddle me that, batman.

A number of people have stood up and said that ARIN made a promise
to the legacy holders that they would exist under the status-quo
"forever".  Randy has provided the only hard evidence I have seen,
and it's a single bullet point in a presentation prior to ARIN's
formation.

That has, however, continued to be the status-quo for 10+ years
now.  It has also been the status quo that if you want to transfer
the block to someone else, you trigger a review and the new recipient
must sign an RSA.

Of course, council would have to put this into legalese, most
likely by altering the RSA for legacy holders but I think something
along the lines of:

"As an original owner of a legacy address space block you may
continue to use the address space forever for your own purposes.
As a legacy holder you will not be subjected to ARIN's policies for
legacy space holders for the legacy blocks only, and will not be
subject to audit by ARIN for those legacy blocks.

Any sale, lease, or transfer of the block or a portion of the block
to a party outside the original owners control will require that
the new recipient sign a current RSA and agree to abide by all of
ARIN's policies for address space assignment.

Failure to maintain contact information for the block, or to pay
the $100 per year maintenance fee will result in forfeiture of the
block.  The $100 per year fee will never change."

Quite simply, an original legacy holder gets their (so claimed)
implied contract put on paper, and we codify in that paper that it
is in fact a non-transferable agreement.  I think for the legacy
holders to have a formal contract with that written down would be
seen as a huge win for them, and would constitute giving them
something.  At the same time, they would be under an RSA, and ARIN
would have a legal stick to help curtail any black market in IP's
that may appear.