[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jul 6 14:38:04 EDT 2007

Thus spake "John Curran" <jcurran at istaff.org>
> At 10:28 AM -0500 7/6/07, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> Merely signing an RSA does not bring legacy resources under
>> the domain of ARIN policy nor cause fees to be assessed.
>> This should probably be explicitly stated in policy somewhere.
>
> If one were to sign the standard RSA, I expect you'd consider
> yourself then subject to the policies adopted by public policy
> process.  Section 7 of said document doesn't leave a lot of
> room for alternative interpretation.

OTOH, sections 6 and 8 do leave a lot of room for debate because they only
refer to "resources ... received from ARIN".

One may read section 7 as saying policy is binding on legacy blocks, but if
legacy holders aren't required to pay for them and are exempt from
revocation, in practice there is no mechanism to force compliance with
policy and therefore legacy holders aren't truly subject to it.  As Mao
said, power grows from the barrel of a gun.

> That's not to prevent ARIN from having an RSA which has
> different terms for this purpose if that be the desire of the
> community, but it would need to be be clearly spelt out and
> would come with its share of pluses and minuses.

I can't say your interpretation is wrong, given your position, but I'd
suggest that the text isn't as clear as it should be.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov