[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of Legacy Resources - version 1.1

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Aug 31 18:08:24 EDT 2007

Scott,

On Aug 31, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> David Conrad wrote:
>> On Aug 31, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Member Services wrote:
>>
>>> 1.      Policy Proposal Name: Authentication of Legacy Resources
>>> No changes shall be made to legacy resource records which are not
>>> covered by a registration services agreement after December 31,
>>> 2007.
>>
>> I suspect that refusal to update registration information will
>> likely  not be very popular with folks trying to fight spam,
>> phishing, fraud,  etc. It could also have the effect of spurring
>> the establishment of  alternative registries that maintain
>> "accurate" information.
>
> Is requiring registrants to sign a contract that codifies their
> rights and responsibilities "refusal"?

Refusing to update registration information would be... well... refusal.

> I don't see the requirements here as at all onerous, and wouldn't
> see alternate registries as viable.

But you're part of the ARIN community (as evidenced by your
participation on this list) so neither of these are particularly
surprising. You're talking about folks who, for the most part, aren't
and have little to no incentive to change that.  They might have a
different view.

> As an ISP, if a customer asked me to route space based on the
> information in some alternate registry because they were unwilling
> to sign an RSA and pay ARIN $100/year, I would consider that
> suspicious enough to have another abuse scrub run on the customer,
> and refuse to route the space.

And they'd go someplace else (e.g., perhaps the same place that is
originating the ridiculously bouncey prefixes out of AS14906 and
AS14201).  You're out the revenue, the prefix still gets announced,
and folks trying to track down spam, phishing, fraud, etc. have more
trouble trying to track down who to point the authorities (or
whatever) at.  Who wins?

Regards,
-drc

P.S. I remember when domains went from $0 to $100 per year and the
ruckus that caused.  And I also see how things are now.  Not sure
this is a direction the RIRs will want to go...