[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-15: Authentication of Legacy Resources - version 1.1

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Fri Aug 31 16:54:16 EDT 2007

David Conrad wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Member Services wrote:
>
>> 1.      Policy Proposal Name: Authentication of Legacy Resources
>> No changes shall be made to legacy resource records which are not
>> covered by a registration services agreement after December 31, 2007.
>>

> I suspect that refusal to update registration information will likely
> not be very popular with folks trying to fight spam, phishing, fraud,
> etc. It could also have the effect of spurring the establishment of
> alternative registries that maintain "accurate" information.

Is requiring registrants to sign a contract that codifies their rights
and responsibilities "refusal"?  I don't see the requirements here as at
all onerous, and wouldn't see alternate registries as viable.  As an
ISP, if a customer asked me to route space based on the information in
some alternate registry because they were unwilling to sign an RSA and
pay ARIN $100/year, I would consider that suspicious enough to have
another abuse scrub run on the customer, and refuse to route the space.

-Scott